Monday, May 21, 2007

Taking the First Step

The two things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision.~~Robyn Davidson

I've been doing some thinking...it costs a lot to live in Phoenix. I mean really a lot. Oh I know that there are more expensive places to live, like say, California, but Phoenix is really expensive. And it's really hot in the summer (no duh it's a desert). So I've been making a mental checklist:

1. House: 3x the amount of Oklahoma

2. Electricity: 3x the amount of Oklahoma

3. Water/Gas: 10x the amount of Oklahoma

4. Salary: Mine is 1.6x and David's is 1.2x the amount of Oklahoma

...see the trend? We have to work more just to live here. And no, I do NOT want to move back to Oklahoma, lol. But I am thinking maybe a less expensive market back closer to family in Texas and Oklahoma might be a good idea.

What is the first step? Look into the job market in an area we might be interested in living. I've got my eye out on a few areas and you can get much more for your money there. And let's face it, there are always health care jobs.

Second step? Okay well we just bought a house last May so we have to see if it has appreciated in value so we won't lose money if we sell. Homes in Phoenix went through a boom about the time we moved out here 2 years ago and the market seems to be correcting itself. But have we lost money or made money by buying this house? Enter appraiser...made money. House is worth $50K more this year than last in "as-is" shape. So more if we continue our home improvement projects in the works or planned.

Third step is to decrease bills. Down size. One example is I bought a 2003 BMW X5 in November. Sell it and get a less expensive vehicle. Start chunking down extra on the hubby's truck and get it paid off in 6months instead of 12months. Etc.

As much as I love our home and the awesome view from my back porch (sigh), I think we need to make a change. The move will get us into a more affordable living area and closer to family.

Okay...now we just need to get working and get going. Wish us luck!

Ciao! De ;)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how "portable" you are, but I know a lot of RN's making a killing as a traveler. We get rotators through all the time, and it's interesting to hear their stories. I know you have children, but something you might consider. We might actually meet in an E.D. somewhere in the future... :D

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete